Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU) has scheduled multiple meetings that will be held around Minnesota to discuss important issues affecting farmers and rural communities. Several key agricultural and legislative leaders have been invited and are expected to speak, as well as answer questions from attendees.
“Minnesota Farmers Union sets up several discussions throughout the year to address and answer questions from community members about key issues in rural Minnesota,” said MFU President Gary Wertish. “Our voice is their voice and we want to hear their stories, their feelings and their feedback. The meetings allow us to not only hear the voice of those living in rural communities but also to bring the information we have, and the local experts who have additional information to them.”
Key topics expected to be discussed are health insurance, the buffer law, property taxes, ditch mowing regulations and commodity prices.
Local experts expected to attend are: Dave Frederickson, Commissioner of Ag; Matt Wohlmann, Deputy Commissioner of Ag; Emily Piper, Minnesota Department of Human Services; Mike Rothman, MN Commerce Commissioner; Rob Larew, Vice-President of Government Affairs for National Farmers Union; Gary Wertish, President of Minnesota Farmers Union; and Bryan Klabunde, Vice President of Minnesota Farmers Union.
Minnesota Farmers Union Rural Issues Discussions schedule:
- March 27, 9:30 a.m., People’s Energy Co-Op, Oronoco, MN
- March 27, 2:00 p.m., Blue Heron Coffee House, Winona, MN
- March 29, 9:30 a.m., Unhinged Pizza, Norwood- Young America, MN
- March 29, 1:00 p.m., South Central College, RM E112, North Mankato, MN
- March 29, 7:00 p.m., River City Eatery, Windom, MN
- March 30, 9:30 a.m., American Legion, Willmar, MN
- March 30, 1:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Courtyard Room 4, Alexandria, MN
- March 31, 9:30 a.m., Initiative Foundation, Little Falls, MN
- March 31, 2:30 p.m., Dry Dock Bar & Restaurant, Duluth, MN
- April 4, 9:30 a.m., Roseau Diner & Inn, Roseau, MN
- April 4, 1:30 p.m., Mike & Linda Hanson & Sons Dairy Farm, Goodridge, MN
- April 5, 9:30 a.m., Frying Pan Restaurant, Moorhead, MN
- April 5, 1:30 p.m., Bellas Café Park Rapids, MN
- April 6, 10:00 a.m., Wintergreens Isanti, MN
Additional details on these meetings can be found at mfu.org or by contacting the MFU Membership & Outreach Director, Bruce Miller at 651-288-4064.