The University of Minnesota Extension, Farm Service Agency and the Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts are hosting an ag update in Renville County on Friday, Dec. 16, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Renville County Government Services Center in Olivia, Minn.
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. in rooms 116/117. The event is free and open to all area landlords, farmers and agribusiness professionals. The program will include a complimentary breakfast courtesy of the Renville County Corn and Soybean Growers Association.
Speakers and topics are scheduled to include:
- Kevin Beekman, county executive director for Redwood and Renville counties Farm Service Agency offices, who will present an update on CRP updates on acreage cap and application process; CRP and its relation to the Minnesota Buffer initiative; and commodity loans.
- Holly Hatlewick, district administrator for the Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation districts, will provide the latest updates on the buffer law and present program options for cost share on installing buffers.
- Bridgett Winkels, South Central Area Certification Specialist, will provide an overview of the Minnesota Water Quality Certification Program. The MAWQP is a volunteer opportunity for farmers and agricultural landowners to take the lead in implementing conservation practices to protect the water.
- Doug Lind, management instructor at the Ridgewater College Farm Business, will discuss updates on the outlook for the 2017 crop financial budgets.
- University of Minnesota Extension Educator David Nicolai will discuss the recent updates to the corn fertilizer guidelines in Minnesota, as well as information on Palmer Amaranth and weed control.