The Southwest Research & Outreach Center will host Winter Crops & Soils Day programs on Wednesday, February 5th in Lamberton and Thursday, February 6th in Luverne. A webinar broadcast of the Feb. 5 program will also be available for those who cannot attend in person. Register online now.
There will also be an informational Soybean Gall Midge Meeting at the American Legion in Montevideo on Friday, Feb. 14. from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The soybean gall midge is a new pest found in several soybean fields in Montevideo’s surrounding area during the 2019 growing season. Sign up to attend the soybean gall midge informational meeting. This information session is being held in conjunction with the University of Minnesota Extension Private Pesticide Applicator Recertification Workshop. The PPAT recertification workshop will begin after the soybean gall midge meeting at 12:30 pm.
Winter Crops & Soils Days presentations and speakers include:
- Pest management in a changing economic and biological landscape – Bruce Potter, IPM Specialist
- Long-term influence of available soil water, precipitation, temperature and tillage on corn and soybean yield – Jeff Strock, Soil Scientist
- How much nitrogen is rainfall and snowfall contributing to crop needs? – Paulo Pagliari, Nutrient Management Specialist
- Matching cover crops to your goals – Axel Garcia y Garcia, Cropping Systems Specialist
- Emerging farm financial and profitability trends for southwest Minnesota – Garen Paulson, Extension Educator in Ag Business Management
- Bioreactors as a management practice for nutrient removal in the Upper Mississippi River Basin – Andry Ranaivoson, SWROC Researcher
Both Winter Crops & Soils Days programs begin at 10:30 a.m. and conclude at 3 p.m. Registration will begin at 10 a.m. and the $40 registration fee includes refreshments, handouts, and lunch. Walk-ins are welcome but pre-registration is encouraged. The Lamberton program on Wednesday, Feb. 5th will be held at the Southwest Research and Outreach Center, 23669 130th Street. The Luverne program on Thursday, February 6th will be held at Grand Prairie Events, 105 South Estey Street. Continuing education units for certified crop advisors will be available.